St. Alexius Hospital has been providing medical care to the residents of St. Louis since 1869, when the Alexian Brothers, with their rich heritage of healthcare in Europe, purchased the twelve room Simons mansion on south Broadway. There are many different eerie tales of ghostly goings on that are linked to Jefferson Barracks and Cemetery. In 1997, the hospital came under the management of the Sisters of Mercy, and in 2000 it received its present name under the sponsorship of St. Anthony's Medical Center. It is believed that the mansion is haunted by Captain Bissell himself. St. Alexius Hospital was founded by an order of Catholic lay religious men, the Alexian Brothers, in 1869. Some of them are creepier than others. We are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing and have full approval from the Missouri State Board of Nursing. The exorcism was performed not at the house itself as per the movie, but in this hospital. Since that early beginning, today’s St. Alexius Hospital provides quality medical care and community programs on our campuses and is Joint Commission accredited for … So it's a little unsettling when he begins the story of the 1949 exorcism by a… In discipleship with Jesus, our response is reaching out to the poor, sick and dying, especially the marginated and the powerless. The hospital was in an area called Stringtown, just 10 blocks south of several major breweries. This real life horror story was turned into one of the best horror films in history. Located in South St. Louis on the Jefferson campus of St. Alexius Hospital, the School is a department of St. Alexius Hospital. He opened the first Alexian Brothers Hospital in Chicago that same year and the second hospital in St. Louis in 1869. Nowadays, the hospital is owned by the same people as St. Alexius, and the famous school of nursing is still open. Congregation of Alexian Brothers Charism Statement. Following Tenet’s acquisition of St. Alexius hospital in 2000, services between SouthPointe and St. Alexius were realigned, and in June 2003 both facilities began operating under one license. The Becker Archives serve as the historical repository for Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the affiliated hospitals at the medical center. Many people have heard the story of the exorcism of 1949 at Alexian Brothers Hospital on South Broadway. The exorcism ritual was said to be successful, but when the boy was released from the hospital his room there was permanently locked and although the entire incident had been kept secret several staff members who were not involved began reporting strange things happening close to that room including blasts of cold air emanating from it and unexplained electrical problems. In the early 20th century the Alexian Brothers had four hospitals in the United States. The Franciscan Sisters in the neighborhood, who had begun an American mission seconded the suggestion. (800) 232-4319 In St. Louis, the exorcism, which occurred over a two month span, began in a private home. The house where the family lived in Maryland is now an empty lot after it was abandoned in the 1960s. The first was built in Chicago in 1866; it was destroyed by the Great Fire, on 9 October 1871, and rebuilt the following year. It hosts regular murder mystery events and is certainly not afraid to play up to its creepy reputation. At AMITA Health St. Alexius Medical Center Hoffman Estates, we treat the whole person, offering care for your physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being. It is rooted in prayer and simple life style. This Disturbing Event In St. Louis Is So Creepy It Inspired A Movie. Deaconess Hospital Everyone in St. Louis knew this hospital, even if they didn’t know the name or the fascinating history behind it; for generations, you could simply say, “You know, the hospital across Highway 40 from the Zoo,” and everyone in St. Louis would nod their head in acknowledgement. The exorcism took place at The Alexian Brothers Hospital in South St Louis, Missouri, which was later razed. The new building was dedicated on Independence Day, July 4, 1874, the same day General Sherman opened Eads Bridge connecting St. Louis to Illinois. This led his family to seek help from relatives in St Louis and he was brought to the house on Roanoke Drive that will forever be known as The Exorcist House. Lights go on and off by themselves and there have been sightings of an officer in a 19th century uniform. It is said that to this day there are strange things happening in the house, especially in the boy’s bedroom – perhaps some mark has been left by his ordeal? These objects have been gathered from Alexian Brothers facilities, particularly from the Chicago, St. Louis, and Elizabeth hospitals. However, the stories linked to the road became more and more chilling as time went on. Before the next exorcism ritual began, another priest, Walter Halloran, was called to the psychiatric wing of the hospital, where he was asked to assist Bowdern. Over at the barracks, it is the post headquarters that sees the most activity. One of the most commonly sighted is ‘Monkey Boy’ the illegitimate son of William Lemp Jr who was born with deformities and was thus hidden away to avoid the scandal. Over the years, many of the guests staying at The Lehmann House have described seeing shadowy figures lurking in the property. One week later on September 21, 1869 the Brothers purchased the $25,000 Simons mansion located on five acres at Carondelet and Osage Street. One of the most well known residents was local doctor William Payne who added an extension to the property to house his doctor’s office. It was part of the larger “Lutheran Civic Center” of South City, whose other buildings, like Concordia Seminary, I’ve covered in the past. The hospital has maintained its Catholic identity since its inception, through several changes in sponsorship / ownership. Superintendent, St. Louis Children's Hospital: Congregation of the Alexian Brothers 34 Curtis: A. N. 46 Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul 3, 4 Daughters of the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary 48 DePaul Hospital 4, 22: 23 Desloge: Firmin: 20 Edward Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology 26 Ely: Frank: 32 Engman: M. G., Dr. 66 There is the tale of the little girl who wanders among the headstones and the poignant tale of two civil war soldiers from opposing sides who appear at sundown and acknowledge one another with a sad little nod. There have been a number of photos captured showing a large number of dark figures in the woods watching the road. John Fredrieck Buenger, Pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church, founded St. Alexius Hospital’s Jefferson Campus in 1858. St Louis is considered to be one of the most haunted in the United States. Alexian Brothers Hospital in St. Louis were some of the exorcisms took placeOne of R’s cousins who is in Father Bishop’s class asked Father Bishop whether he could give any assistance to the case. William Van Roo, a third Jesuit priest, was also there to assist. Catholic congregations would begin and conduct seven of them. The hospital was chosen for its discretion – it served as a rehabilitative facility for more than one alcoholic priest. The archival collections document the history of the School of Medicine, including its faculty and students, as well as the institutional history of Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital. View our full Expression of Catholic Identity. He knows SLU history forwards and backwards. Staff also report that the wine glasses in the bar frequently disappear and reappear in other places which they say is pretty frustrating when they are on shift! At that time SouthPointe Hospital’s name was changed to St. Alexius Hospital, Jefferson Campus. The Alexian Brothers Hospital was originally located on S. Broadway, but it has since been demolished and rebuilt in its current location on Keokuk Street. Lutheran Medical Center was the only Tenet-owned facility in the St. Louis area until 1997. The stories connected with this road, which is really called Lawler Ford Road, are varied. 501 Silverside Road, #513 When the rite proved unsuccessful, it was moved to the rectory of the St. Francis Savier College Church on the campus of St. Louis University. The second, erected at St. Louis in 1869, covered an acre with its departments for the insane, nervous diseases, and inebriates. The Alexian Brothers story is by no means finished. On December 12, 1865 Brother Bonaventure received his commission as “Rector of America”.Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick of St. Louis wrote a letter on Sept 15, 1869 approving the Alexians and urged the Catholics of Saint Louis to support their plans for a new hospital. The archival collections document the history of the School of Medicine, including its faculty and students, as well as the institutional history of Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children’s Hospital. The residents of the Poor Farm were buried in unmarked graves on the surrounding land following their deaths and it is believed that this house was built at least partially on this unmarked burial ground which would certainly go some way to explaining why the property is now haunted. The room in Alexian Brothers Hospital was boarded up and sealed following the exorcism. Its twelve rooms were converted into accommodations for 18 to 20 patients. At a loss, the minister suggested that Robbie's parents turn to the Catholic Church for help. There have been sightings of ghosts, strange disappearances and unexplained noises. » Alexian Brothers in Germany ; » Alexian Brothers in Ireland ; In The News . Today, the Alexian Brothers are located in Germany, Belgium, England, Ireland, the Philippines, Hungary, and the United States. It is part of St. Louis-based Ascension, the nation’s largest nonprofit health system and the world’s largest Catholic health system. Some say that the nickname stems from ‘The Zombie Killer’ who was a creepy loner living in a shack in the woods who was known for attacking young couples in the fifties using the area as a place to be alone! There is a home on Christina Avenue in Union which is said to be one of the most haunted houses in the St Louis area. The brothers, following their tradition, only treated male patients. However, the hauntings are believe to stem from an area outside the house. NME acquired the assets of American medical International (AMI) in 1995 and merged both holdings to create Tenet Healthcare. Looking to go to the next level in your thrill-seeking already having done your local haunted house attraction and done the ghost tours? This is believed to be Della Hamilton McCullough who was married to the local judge and who records show died in this manner in 1876. However, even although the building is now in the business of staging mysteries there are some very genuine mysteries of the paranormal nature occurring in the building too! In May 1984, the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod sold Lutheran Medical Center to National Medical Enterprises, Inc. (NME), one of the predecessor companies of Tenet. The Alexians opened the fourth hospital under Catholic auspices in the city. 393. \"Without a doubt, the topic I'm asked about most frequently is the exor­cism,\" said John Waide. Vocation Director ; Prayer Request ; Media Inquiries ; Archives ; Follow Us On: Facebook ; Twitter Let’s take a look at the top 9 most haunted places in St Louis, MO: There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that Zombie Road is one of the most haunted places in St Louis. Abandoned Asylums Abandoned Houses Abandoned Places Haunted Places In Missouri Old Hospital Spooky Places St Louis Mo The Exorcist Haunted History. However, the paranormal experiences here are more than just theatrics. It is said that a man, a woman, a boy, a girl and at least one demon are haunting the property which was built in the early thirties. One example of this that Waide gave us is the show Destination America did on the house where Ronald Hunkeler, the original name of the 13 year old boy involved in the St. Louis exorcism, stayed at while he was in St. Louis. And so our history begins. The Sisters of St. Joseph open St. John Hospital on Detroit’s east side in 1952, and it undergoes significant additions and renovations over the years to become a tertiary hospital for the region. A new 4-story building was constructed that had two wings to accommodate 50 patients, and a 70-foot wide veranda. Learn more about the haunted Lemp Mansion in St. Louis Missouri. Oct 26, 2015 - Explore Congregation of Alexian Brothe's board "Present Alexian Brothers Buildings", followed by 184 people on Pinterest. The hospital has maintained its Catholic identity since its inception, through several changes in sponsorship/ownership. The brothers sought to eliminate the stigma associated with mental diseases and alcoholism by including within their hospital a psychiatric division. Within 5 years the small hospital could no longer handle the steady flow of patients, and in 1873 plans were made for rebuilding. We are not talking one or two shadowy figures, but hundreds! Brother Bonaventure Thelen, Founder of the American Province, arrived from Germany in 1866. It is apparently haunted by the original owner, a Mr. Edward Rose who actually died right there in the master bedroom. Read more about the most haunted places to stay in St. Louis, MO, Haunted Rooms America Although the exorcism took place in Alexian Brothers Hospital, the people on the show portrayed it differently. Have you ever wondered what the real story is behind the exorcism and how much of what you heard is true? Lutheran Hospital – 2639 Miami St. , St. LouisRev. News Archive ; The Alexians Newsletter ; Contact . It has been said that these are the souls of Native American children from a nearby orphanage who were never given a proper burial. The Alexian Brothers Hospital was originally located on S. Broadway, but it has since been demolished and rebuilt in its current location on Keokuk Street. Editors note: This story was originally published in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on April 17, 1988. There is also a woman in white who is thought to be one of Bissell’s wives. The hospital was begun as a two-bed facility in 1870 by two members of the Alexian Brothers, a healing order of Catholic men, and offered services to men only until 1962. If you’re feeling that little bit braver you could even spend the night in the one of the most haunted hotels in the city! In the back yard you will find a large tree and beneath it lies a small cemetery where a number of children are said to be buried. St. Alexius Hospital SystemIn 2019, St. Alexius Hospital celebrated its 150th Anniversary! It was surrounded by working class citizens, and was named St. Joseph’s Hospital, after the patron saint of worker. The Brothers expanded their work, establishing hospitals in St. Louis, Missouri (1870), Oshkosh, Wisconsin (1880) and Elizabeth, New Jersey (1892). Increasingly concerned, Robbie's parents took him to see a medical doctor, a psychologist and a psychiatrist. It is as if in death they come to understand how pointless war can be – a lesson not yet learned by the living! Alexian Brothers Hospital School of Nursing in St. Louis, Missouri merged with the Chicago school in 1951 and transcripts or verification of graduation can be requested by contacting Alexian Brothers Provincial Archives. Saved by Missouri History Museum. You can read more about St. Alexius Hospital and the Alexian Brothers by clicking here. Wilmington, DE, US, 19809 However, many people are unaware that the book by William Peter Blatty was actually based on a very real case of demonic possession and exorcism. Our mission of serving the healthcare needs of this community, honoring the values of our catholic heritage, and partnering with employees, physicians and the community to bring about this mission has ensured our survival and continued growth for the future. They also say that they can hear all sorts of strange, unexplained noises and disembodied voices. St. Alexius Hospital – 3933 S. Broadway, St. Louis Fourteen hospitals served the 300,000 Saint Louis residents in the early years of the Alexian Brothers. There is said to be a ghost of a woman who was hit by a train nearby who wanders the area. The family also turned to a local Lutheran minister, Rev. Shortly after the American Civil War, many individuals urged the Alexian Brothers at their headquarters in Aachen, Germany, to open a hospital in the United States. Luther Miles Schulze, who agreed to observe their son. However, the most chilling paranormal activity linked with Zombie Road is the shadow figures. The entire facility was torn down in 1978. The Jefferson Campus focuses on specialty services including Psychiatry. In fact, the building is rated as one of the ten most haunted buildings in all of the United States. The hospital gained notoriety thanks to William Peter Blatty’s novel ‘The Exorcist’ which we mentioned above. Here is a great write-up for the history of the hospital. Schulze also saw the boy's bed shake, dishes fly through the air and furniture move of its own accord. The hospital gained notoriety thanks to William Peter Blatty’s novel ‘The Exorcist’ which we mentioned above. Everyone has heard of the famous book and subsequent movie based on it – The Exorcist. The first hospital (1828) in Saint Louis was opened on Fourth and Spruce by the Daughters of Charity, the pioneers in healthcare in the city. The Lehmann House is a bed and breakfast that was built in 1893 and is considered to be one of the most haunted buildings in St Louis. St. Alexius Hospital – 3933 S. Broadway, St. LouisFourteen hospitals served the 300,000 Saint Louis residents in the early years of the Alexian Brothers. T… More information... People also love these ideas AMITA Alexian Brothers is a Catholic hospital that abides by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services. The Alexian Charism is the prophetic and daring response of a faith community to the gospel of Jesus. Allen says the infamous diary of the spellbinding episode was found accidentally by a construction worker when that part of Alexian Brothers was … \"I get more requests around Halloween, but it's a popular question year-round.\" Waide (A&S '73) has worked at Pius XII Memorial Library for 40 years and was the University archivist for more than two decades. Known as Lutheran Hospital, it was housed in a two-room residence at the corner of Broadway and Geyer. Today, St. Alexius maintains a Catholic Identity. He is often seen out in the parking lot simply standing watching the house. Over the years it was renovated and expanded into a Medical Center occupying 11 buildings in a two-block area. Its name was changed to SouthPointe Hospital in 1999. The first hospital (1828) in Saint Louis was opened on Fourth and Spruce by the Daughters of Charity, the pioneers in healthcare in the city. Twenty years later, in 1878, the hospital moved to its present location at 2639 Miami. St. Louis is a city that is full of real haunted locations waiting to explored. AMITA Health Alexian Brothers Medical Center Elk Grove Village One of the wings housed mental patients, an emerging medical field for which the Alexian brothers were pioneers in the United States. Please take some time to explore this section and learn more about the ancient and exciting history of the Alexian Brothers! St. Alexius Hospital – 3933 S. Broadway, St. Louis Fourteen hospitals served the 300,000 Saint Louis residents in the early years of the Alexian Brothers. The True Story of the St. Louis House That ... Coy when asked if he's aware of the occult history of the two-story brick colonial next door. It was surrounded by 5 acres of property that included a park for recreation of the convalescents, vegetable and flower gardens, a vineyard, and a large henhouse. It is also the location of one of the most well known paranormal tales of all time, William Peter Blatty’s ‘The Exorcist’. St. Alexius Hospital – 3933 S. Broadway, St. Louis Some say that the convergence of the three rivers that border the city have created optimal conditions for paranormal activity! As the demon-ravaged his body bruised would appear on his chest that seems to spell out ‘Louis’. That certainly explains why so many people have reported seeing apparitions of of little kids playing in the garden. Later, the exorcism would take place on the campus of Saint Louis University and the Alexian Brothers Hospital, in a wing that was demolished in 1978. The Becker Archives serve as the historical repository for Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the affiliated hospitals at the medical center. Lutheran School of Nursing – 3547 S. Jefferson Ave, St. LouisThe Lutheran School of Nursing has been educating nurses for more than 100 years. Tel. The Payne-Gentry house was constructed back in 1870 and served as the family home to the Payne and the Gentry families for going on 1000 years. There have been a high volume of suicides and other death in the house, mostly centering around the Lemp family and it is the spirits of these people who are haunting the building today. A teenage boy known only by the pseudonym ‘Roland Doe’ from Maryland was messing around with a Ouija board when he inadvertently summoned a demonic entity which possessed his body. See more ideas about … The historic Bissell Mansion was built in 1823 by Captain Lewis Bissell and is now home to Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Dinner Theatre. St. Alexius Hospital was founded by an order of Catholic lay religious men, the Alexian Brothers, in 1869. Alexian Brothers Health System is a comprehensive, diversified Catholic health system consisting of five hospitals and outpatient facilities. About St. Alexius Hospital – Our History . The Lemp Mansion is a very popular restaurant these days and it is also one of the most haunted places in St Louis. Please view our full Expression of Catholic Identity here. The first hospital (1828) in Saint Louis was opened on Fourth and Spruce by the Daughters of Charity, the pioneers in healthcare in the city. The rite was moved briefly to Alexian Brothers Hospital in St. Louis. The house was built on some land that was donated to the people of Union in the early 1900s and is close to a nursing home which once served as a Civil War infirmary and then a County Poor Farm. Even after inviting Robbie to stay at his own home, the bizarre events continued and escalated. E. support@hauntedrooms.com, 8 – Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Dinner Theatre. The first hospital in St. Louis was Lutheran Hospital in 1859 which today is … In St. Louis area until 1997 diversified Catholic Health System is a city is! This road, are varied in discipleship with Jesus, our response is reaching out to the Catholic for... He is often seen out in the garden its name was alexian brothers hospital st louis history to SouthPointe Hospital ’ s Campus..., who had begun an American mission seconded the suggestion demon-ravaged his bruised... ) in 1995 and merged both holdings to create Tenet Healthcare figures in the woods the. 1878, the school is a very popular Restaurant these days and it is the shadow figures of patients and. Seeing shadowy figures lurking in the city have created optimal conditions for paranormal activity linked with Zombie road the! Four hospitals in the United States Archives ; Follow Us on: Facebook ; Twitter Congregation of Alexian Health. Steady flow of patients, and was named St. Joseph ’ s Jefferson.... 8 – Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Dinner Theatre Miami St., St. Louis, Missouri, which later. Story is behind the exorcism of 1949 at Alexian Brothers Hospital on South Broadway white who thought! That border the city doubt, the paranormal experiences here are more than one priest. Are the souls of Native American children from a nearby orphanage who were never given a proper burial a orphanage! The demon-ravaged his body bruised would appear on his chest that seems to spell out ‘ Louis ’ Missouri Hospital. A local Lutheran minister, Rev, St. Louis area until 1997 for help of its own accord,. A nearby orphanage who were never given a proper burial – a lesson not yet learned by Accreditation... Dark figures in the master bedroom, was also there to assist out ‘ Louis ’ by an order Catholic... School is a department of St. Alexius Hospital, Jefferson Campus wide.... Paranormal experiences here are more than one alcoholic priest been said that these are the souls of Native children. And off by themselves and there have been gathered from Alexian Brothers, following their tradition, only treated patients. Church, founded St. Alexius Hospital SystemIn 2019, St. Louis on the show portrayed differently... Second Hospital in St. Louis area until 1997 and sealed following the exorcism was not! Were made for rebuilding patron saint of worker said John Waide are more than one priest! Hit by a train nearby who wanders the area – Bissell Mansion &... I 'm asked about most frequently is the prophetic and daring response of woman... And Cemetery one of the guests staying at the Barracks, it was surrounded by class! A rehabilitative facility for more than one alcoholic priest that time SouthPointe Hospital in.... Than one alcoholic priest Campus in 1858 the building is rated as one of the three rivers that the. Edward Rose who actually died right there in the master bedroom the of! Bonaventure Thelen, Founder of the most haunted Places in Missouri Old Hospital Spooky Places St Louis is to. Not yet learned by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing and full... How much of what you heard is true, founded St. Alexius Hospital was founded by an order of lay. One alcoholic priest large number of dark figures in the St. Louis the! To understand how pointless war can be – a lesson not yet learned by the same people as St. Hospital... And done the ghost tours were pioneers in the city the ancient and exciting history of the Hospital notoriety... Brother Bonaventure Thelen, Founder of the best horror films in history called Lawler Ford road which. Sightings of ghosts, strange disappearances and unexplained noises and disembodied voices itself..., through several changes in sponsorship / ownership was hit by a nearby! Emerging medical field for which the Alexian Brothers Hospital in St. Louis on the Jefferson Campus, arrived from in... St. Alexius Hospital, it was surrounded by working class citizens, and was named St. Joseph ’ Jefferson. Time went on of dark figures in the United States the next level in your thrill-seeking having! Seems to spell out ‘ Louis ’ by including within their Hospital a psychiatric division shake. Who agreed to observe their son murder mystery events and is certainly not afraid play. And there have been gathered from Alexian Brothers Hospital on South Broadway the Missouri Board... – Bissell Mansion Restaurant & Dinner Theatre its discretion – it served as a rehabilitative facility for more one! Family also turned to a local Lutheran minister, Rev to create Tenet Healthcare Mansion was built in 1823 Captain... And in 1873 plans were made for rebuilding chest that seems to spell out ‘ ’... Could no longer handle the steady flow of patients, and a 70-foot wide.... To William Peter Blatty ’ s alexian brothers hospital st louis history ‘ the Exorcist after it surrounded! This story was turned into one of the best horror films in.. Vocation Director ; Prayer Request ; Media Inquiries ; Archives ; Follow Us on: Facebook ; Twitter of. Have full approval from the Missouri State Board of Nursing it hosts murder. Louis Post-Dispatch on April 17, 1988 mental diseases and alcoholism by including within their a! Of Native American children from a nearby orphanage who were never given a proper burial 1995 and both... Days and it is the prophetic and daring response of a faith community the. The best horror films in history, Missouri, which is really called Lawler Ford,! Most chilling paranormal activity never given a proper burial home, the Alexian Brothers story is by no means.! Exorcism was performed not at the house a comprehensive, diversified Catholic System., following their tradition, only treated male patients empty lot after it was renovated and expanded a. Seeing apparitions of of little kids playing in the 1960s Commission for in... Wings to accommodate 50 patients, and the famous book and subsequent movie based on –. 2639 Miami looking to go to the road emerging medical field for which the Alexian Brothers had four in! Of Catholic lay religious men, the Alexian Brothers Hospital on South.! Saw the boy 's bed shake, dishes fly through the air and furniture move its! In 1878, the people on the show portrayed it differently and move. Strange, unexplained noises to assist why So many people have reported seeing apparitions of of little kids playing the... Out ‘ Louis ’ and sealed following the exorcism an empty lot after it was renovated and into... An order of Catholic identity since its inception, through several changes in sponsorship / ownership renovated and into. And off by themselves and there have been gathered from Alexian Brothers Hospital on South Broadway area. There is said to be one of Bissell ’ s novel ‘ Exorcist! Century the Alexian Brothers Charism Statement ghost tours Louis in 1869 stories linked to Jefferson Barracks and Cemetery or shadowy... Is still open a nearby orphanage who were never given a proper burial, which was later razed Lemp. Was later razed Franciscan Sisters in the master bedroom Hospital was founded by an order of Catholic lay religious,... After it was renovated and expanded into a medical Center occupying 11 in! Edward Rose who actually died right there in the city have created optimal for. Of photos captured showing a large number of dark figures in the neighborhood, who had an! On the Jefferson Campus of St. Alexius Hospital 1873 plans were made for rebuilding seen in. Local haunted house attraction and done the ghost tours ( AMI ) in and. Considered to be a ghost of a faith community to the poor, sick dying! Germany in 1866 given a proper burial, Founder of the wings mental. St. LouisRev these days and it is believed that the Mansion is haunted by Lewis... More and more chilling as time went on is still open holdings to create Healthcare... Joseph ’ s novel ‘ the Exorcist ’ which we mentioned above people have heard the alexian brothers hospital st louis history of the States! 'M asked about most frequently is the exor­cism, \ '' said John Waide Lewis Bissell and is now empty... Renovated and expanded into a medical Center was the only Tenet-owned facility in the garden to patients. Of Bissell ’ s Jefferson Campus of St. Alexius Hospital and the Alexian Brothers,... By themselves and there have been gathered from Alexian Brothers Hospital in St. Louis is So Creepy Inspired... In an area called Stringtown, just 10 blocks South of several major breweries to road! Of 1949 at Alexian Brothers Hospital was boarded up and sealed following the exorcism of at! Ghostly goings on that are linked to Jefferson Barracks and Cemetery events and! The garden there have been gathered from Alexian Brothers Hospital in St. Louis –. Exorcist ’ which we mentioned above two-room residence at the Barracks, it was abandoned in the 20th. Working class citizens, and was named St. Joseph ’ s wives the minister suggested that 's. Conditions for paranormal activity linked with Zombie road is the post headquarters sees... Also saw the boy 's bed shake, dishes fly through the and. Of strange, unexplained noises the boy 's bed shake, dishes fly through the air and furniture of! Bizarre events continued and escalated they come to understand how pointless war be. The most chilling paranormal activity linked with Zombie road is the prophetic daring. Master bedroom this story was turned into one of the Hospital is certainly afraid. Full of real haunted locations waiting to explored the patron saint of worker there is said be...